Translate

Saturday 11 August 2012

The village dinner...


On Saturday evening we were invited to the annual Marnay village dinner. It was a fantastic opportunity to mix with the locals and celebrate in a truly French, provincial way.

Everyone was very welcoming. We sat at tables under the darkening sky, happily consuming a variety of cold meats, pate', salads, bread, cheese, tartlets, rose' and wine. I'm not sure I want to know what was in the pate' but it was particularly good!


We all persisted with our our broken French and English. One of the local farmers told me his son lived in Australia a couple years ago and worked in the wine industry. Later on he dialled his son's number and then handed me the phone for a chat. Fortunately he spoke very good English!

Afterwards, the local band cranked up the music and everyone was up dancing and singing. The champagne was some of the best I'd ever tasted and it flowed freely from glass to glass.


No comments:

Post a Comment