Translate

Saturday 25 August 2012

Where there's smoke there's fire...

One sunny afternoon I was working away on my laptop when all of a sudden I heard a crackling noise. I got up to see what was going on and could soon smell smoke. The crackles got louder and I figured it must be a controlled fire somewhere nearby... I was certain whoever it was must have a good reason for doing so. Soon afterwards, black smoke started to billow up over the high orchard trees (pictured in my entry on August 8) and orange flames could be seen every now and then dancing in the wind. I wondered if I should go take a closer look but I also felt I was close enough (it was all unfolding about 20m or so from my bedroom window)! Two of the Camac staff tried desperately to connect the hose to douse the flames and help later arrived from the local fire brigade. What I didn't realise until much later was that we were all very lucky it was brought under control, especially since it was such a hot and windy day. Those flames could have almost spelt the end for Camac!

When I sat down at dinner time I asked the other residents if they'd also witnessed the fire, but everyone at the table seemed oblivious. They joked and thought I was making it up. Here's some proof for the non-believers:


No comments:

Post a Comment